It was back in 1998 when Ryan Eatmon started coding on a Jabber channel bot (in Perl). For quite some time now no changes have been made to the code. As it would be really a shame to see this beautiful piece of software disappear in accordance with Ryan I decided to take over development from now on. For this a trac environment has been set up to coordinate further development.
Along with this there’s a subversion repository where you can get the code.
In order to download ChatBot please do
svn co http://code.mabber.com/svn/chatbot/trunk chatbot
So what’s new?
- Some minor bug fixes (don’t crash on ‘join_channel’ command, fixed timers)
- Crash handler for registered callbacks of plugins (plugins can’t crash ChatBot anymore)
- New ‘plugin’ plugin that allows you to hot-deploy plugins (loading plugins whithout restarting) and enables hot code replacement (reload plugins if file changed)
- A ‘feedreader’ plugin that, well you guessed it, allows to subscribe to feeds
- An ‘ejabberdctl’ plugin to administrate ejabberd nodes from within chatbot (use with care!)
- A ‘spool’ plugin that reads raw xml from a spool and sends it accross the wire (inspired by jabberd14’s spool feature)
- even more plugins
What’s left to say? Have fun playing with ChatBot (just like I have)!